Tuesday 20 October 2015

A long time ago, in a football galaxy far, far away...

Fulham FC versus Wolverhampton Wanderers

English Championship
Tuesday 29th September, 2015 – 7.45pm kick-off
Fulham Football Club
It is often said that Nostalgia just ain't wot it used to be. For instance, how vividly do YOU still recall YOUR first football match? I have very strong memories of mine; but perhaps with good reason. Although the dog-eared, much-loved and much-reviewed match-day programme was mislaid many years ago, alas. Perhaps in a house move or loft clearance? When I was 12, though, such adult things were still a long way off in what would have seemed the unimaginably far distant future.

I went along to Craven Cottage to watch my first ever professional football match with one of my older brothers, who was already a Fulham fan of several years' standing (thanks, Kevin!) on Saturday 11th September, 1976. Was it REALLY nearly 40 years ago, already? It was certainly the kind of sunny afternoon that Ray Davies might have been proud of, down by Old Father Thames. A stroll along the riverbank through the Bishop's Park took me to the glorious home of London's oldest professional football club, on a day when they would be fielding some of London's oldest professional footballers. The stellar, top-flight player roster of WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS was a part of the allure that afternoon, to be sure. Recently relegated to the 'Second Division', as was, they would bounce straight back into the top flight as Champions, that season. As important as the men in gold, however, was the man who had once lifted gold for England at Wembley: Robert Frederick Chelsea Moore, O.B.E. - better known to most as "Bobby". ("... the best I ever worked with. Without him England would never have won the World Cup" - Sir Alf Ramsey). Moore would be dead just 16 years later; survived for 12 further years by another of the game's greats, who also lined up in a white Fulham shirt that day alongside "Sir" Bobby: George Best. Georgie was playing his first ever home game for the club. It should come as no surprise to anyone who appreciates his talent to hear that the crowd of 25,794 present for his debut was almost three times the size of the gate for Fulham's opening home game of the season just a few weeks earlier (against Nottingham Forest, who would also go on to gain promotion that year). Never one to understate his importance to the game or to the crowds, Best once tellingly observed "Pele said he thought I was the greatest ever player. I have always thought I was the best ever player ... I have never looked at another player and felt inferior"). He had scored just 71 seconds into his Fulham debut the previous week, at Bristol Rovers.

These two all-time superstars of The Beautiful Game were joined on the pitch by Rodney Marsh. A star who, by comparison, perhaps shone less brightly - but often just as loud (as "Rod the Mod"). Although only on loan at the club for a brief spell, Marsh was returning to the spiritual home where he had started his career, back in the early ("swinging") '60's. This was a line-up most football fans could barely even dream of seeing together, sporting their beloved club's 'jersey'; and long before the mega-billions of the current Premier League had even been thought possible.

Best & Marsh in full flight against The Wolves: Sept. 11, 1976

So many big names, such a Galaxy of stars, were on the pitch in that glorious September sunshine, in fact, that the fixture had been chosen by the BBC as their featured game on "Match of the Day", that night, despite being a second-tier tie. At first I thought: "What a swizz!". I felt I could, perhaps, have saved up my pocket money for another day and a different, non-televised fixture. I soon realised, though, that there could be an up-side. Since it also meant I would be able to re-live the events of the day later on; and see all the Fulham goals again ... with modern, slow-motion, 'action replay' technology. Of course, "Harney's Law" came into play; and there were no goals. Despite all of the talent on the pitch, we witnessed a no-score draw; though it was very far from a bore-draw. 
After the game, Fulham lay in 14th place (out of 22 clubs) while Wolves were 4th. It turned out to have been a good result for us; and potentially an important point. Since, as I have mentioned already, The Wanderers would go on to end the season as Champions, promoted back into the top flight (with Chelsea & Nottingham Forest); while Fulham would finish in a precarious 17th place, just one all-important point (but, admittedly, +19 goals) above the drop zone inhabited by Carlisle United, Plymouth Argyle & Hereford United.

Not many Fulham fans can (honestly) claim the honour of having seen that Holy Trinity in action. They actually played as a trio only 15 times; but I was hooked. No matter how the season might have later progressed. It is understood to be one of those unwritten laws of the true football fan that you must stick with the first side you choose to go and watch - and I was never going to be a Wolves fan. So Fulham it was, for me. As an illustration of the power, truth and universality of this immutable fan law, let me recount to you the outline of a radio 'phone-in conversation I overheard recently, on BBC Radio London. An elderly fan was speaking of the first game to which his own dad had taken him along, "shortly after the war". They were expecting to go to White Hart Lane for Spurs' Boxing Day fixture; but heavy snow that day meant the game there was postponed, along with fixtures across most of snow-swept London. Miraculously, the ground staff 
at Brisbane Road had been able to prepare the playing surface to the satisfaction of the referee. Desperate to take in a holiday fixture, Dad and son had managed to get along there. "And, Robert" the elderly gent intoned "ever since that day I've been a Leyton Orient fan all my life, as a result". I, in my turn, of course, ensured that the first match my son (Callum) got to see was also a Fulham game. On a Bank Holiday Monday (28th August, 2000) when he was still 6 years old, he came with me to see the Whites' away win at Carrow Road (we were on holiday, about an hour's drive away). He has, ever since, been an ardent fan of  ... (Tottenham) Hotspur F. C.. To his credit (and to be fair to him) Spurs are his local club. And Fulham do remain his "second team".

Fast-Forward almost exactly 39 years from that sunny summer's day of childhood memory, from those white- and gold-remembered hills, to Tuesday 29th Sept. 2015 and a repeat of the same fixture. I would find much that has changed over those intervening years - but a lot that has not. Despite predatory ownership upheavals in the late '80's and threats to the ongoing survival of the Craven Cottage ground, Fulham still play at (and own) the home they have enjoyed since 1896. They play in English football's second tier, after a run of 13 uninterrupted seasons in the top flight which ended as recently as May 2014. The big name stars have come and gone; as have many 'journeyman' players. The club badge has changed (though not "beyond all recognition", as some purists would have you believe) and we have only got through a few owners in those intervening years; with varied degrees of success. Oh, and this time the visiting, all-gold Wolverhampton side would be playing in ... sky blue! There was no colour clash; so this was, presumably, a move aimed at maximising club revenue from additional shirt sales.
 
Spot the Difference: Then and Now - 45 degrees ... and a bit of red?

This year, the Fulham-Wolves fixture was a mid-week one, under floodlights. I was lucky enough to identify a work colleague, Paul, who is a Wolves fan. An ex-pat, doing missionary work in London and the Home Counties. It was the job of just moments for us to convince ourselves that we both needed to get along to the Cottage to see the action, close-up and personal. Accordingly, I got hold of a pair of tickets for the Riverside Stand. Fulham would be resurgent, after a crushing 4-0 local 'derby' win over QPR. Wolves were likely to be more unsteady: chairman-less since the day before and up for sale. Bad timing there, surely.
Wiki: "The Johnny Haynes stand (originally the Stevenage Road Stand) is the oldest remaining stand in the Football League. Constructed in 1905, the Grade II* listed building was designed by Archibald Leitch"

For all that optimistic pre-match outlook, however, it should be noted that the word "Fulham-ish" is a much-used adjective, amongst long-serving (long-suffering?) club fans. Fans of some other teams may have experienced a similar sentiment (roughly "that is just so typical of OUR club!") but few have created a vocabulary to express the feeling quite so succinctly. Having arrived in the hope of seeing 3 home points bravely earned, and an assault on the top end of the league table, this would turn out to be a very 
"Fulham-ish" evening. I will let you read the gory details, as professionally described by the BBC Sport website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34321292). Suffice it to say that both sides had started nervously; with neither looking sharp in the final third. The key event, though, in an erstwhile broadly even contest, was the 35th minute dismissal of Fulham's right-midfielder, Tom Cairney. Having failed to control a ball delivered into his feet, he over-stretched in his efforts to retain/regain the ball. A straight red card was flourished for an out-of-control challenge. Oops! Adam Le Fondre theatrically made the most of the challenge, to ensure his side gained the all-important extra man advantage. So much so, in fact, that many present would later be surprised to see him rise from the dead, or even play football again. Alas, such is the nature of the modern professional game. It had looked a harsh decision, "live" and at full speed; but reviewing the highlights at home, later, I could see why it had gone that way. The wily Le Fondre (of course - who else could it possibly have been?) went on to score the visitors' opener, in the 56th minute. Not dead at all, then!

What HAVE I just done?! Fulham's #10 (Cairney, seated) looks on resignedly, as Le Fondre (prone) receives the last rites from a passing priest. Silly boy!


The referee played 97 minutes of football, in total. Unusually, I had arrived 10 minutes late, due to major travel problems (sound familiar?). So I only actually saw about 25 minutes of "11-vs-11" action. I calculate that 64% of the game was conducted with just 21 men - 71% of what I saw. I knew that a partial refund was unlikely, though. The rest of what might otherwise have been an interesting (even intriguing) and evenly-matched contest may well have been, effectively, spoiled for most of the 15,000 fans present by one decision; but did referee Darren Drysdale really have any alternative options? What was to follow was certainly not worth the entrance money, for the home majority. As Fulham worked hard chasing blue shadows and slowly tired,  they succumbed to an almost-inevitable 0-3 defeat. I wondered whether club chairmen shouldn't step down every week, in search of such success; and was also reminded of some of the sentiments expressed after this same fixture last season: "Cries of 'Felix out' as Fulham struggle against Wolves" http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/cries-felix-out-fulham-struggle-7646883 (20/8/14).

Home fans were seen streaming for the exits as soon as James Henry had scored the fateful third goal in the 78th minute, from a free-kick on the edge of the box - another 'soft' decision from Mr. Drysdale. Having missed so much of the early action, however, we were both determined to stay until the bitter end. For Paul, the decision to stay was an easy one; for me it was genuinely more bitter than sweet. Bragging rights certainly went to the gold/blue visitors for the second year running; but I was left with "if-onlys" and "what-ifs?" to contemplate. This dour fixture was not one my 12-year-old self would have relished watching ... nor would I have gladly parted with hard-earned pocket money to see it.

The Riverside Stand beckons again. Next up for me at The Cottage will be Leeds United, on Wednesday 21st October; with a former colleague, Richard, who is a Leeds fan. Their club owner has just been
disqualified by the Football League, after being found guilty in Italy of non-payment of VAT ... AND they also have a new  manager: former Rotherham United boss, "Mighty" Steve Evans. Under such circumstances, I have learned to expect an unexpected away win. It would just be so "Fulham-ish". They can always let you down. I will travel more in hope than expectation.



Appendices

Some favourite Bobby Moore quotes:

"He was my friend as well as the greatest defender I ever played against. The world has lost one of its greatest football players and an honourable gentleman" Pelé
"Bobby Moore was the best defender in the history of the game ...a real gentleman and a true friend." Franz Beckenbauer
"Moore was the best defender I have ever seen." Sir Alex Ferguson
"There should be a law against him. He knows what's happening 20 minutes before everyone else." Jock Stein
"My captain, my leader, my right-hand man. He was the spirit and the heartbeat of the team. A cool, calculating footballer I could trust with my life. He was the supreme professional, the best I ever worked with. Without him England would never have won the World Cup." Alf Ramsey


Some favourite George Best quotes:
"I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: "What's an IQ?"
"I'd give all the Champagne I've ever drunk to be playing alongside him in a big European match at Old Trafford." Talking about former United front-man Eric Cantona.
"In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." 

"I used to go missing a lot... Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World."
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." "If you'd given me the choice of going out and beating four men and smashing a goal in from thirty yards against Liverpool or going to bed with Miss World, it would have been a difficult choice. Luckily, I had both."
"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right." Best's view on David Beckham.


And Rodney Marsh?:

"The last time I was picked by Alf Ramsey for England we had a team talk before the game. Alf told me we all had to work harder. "Rodney you in particular." Then he said: "if you don't work hard I'm going to pull you off at half time." And I said: "Christ, at Man City all we get is a cup of tea and an orange." Nobody laughed. And not only that, but it was the last time I ever got picked".
"... in Alfredo di Stéfano's book he says that I was the most gifted footballer outside of Brazil. That made me feel good. I played against his Valencia team twice and we f*cking murdered them. 
But you couldn't have a team of Rodney Marshes".

... how VERY true!

No comments:

Post a Comment